Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Weekend red dye experiment - with picture

Well, it still sort-of works. The picture below shows the work I did this weekend on my red leather dye. It took me all weekend to do three coats of dye because the recipe says to let it dry between.

As you can see, it still didn't really work very well.

The top piece of leather is the natural leather as a comparison for colour.

On the bottom right you have the leather colour when its still not fully dry, which looks pretty good. I did the last coat on that piece before I went to bed, so its been drying about 10 hours.

The piece on the bottom left has been drying since yesterday afternoon, so closer to 18 hours. It's the same number of coats of dye as the other piece and actually looked about that same colour when I went to bed. It still has a slight red tinge to it but not what I would expect.

I suspect by the time I get home both pieces will look about the same.

I'm not sure why all of the colour is vanishing when it dries, I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment