Tuesday 22 October 2013

The Ælfwyn Effect - Pics of my red leather dye

Here are pictures to show where I landed with my red dye. As mentioned in my previous post, I was chatting with Mistress Ælfwyn  and she suggested that I apply some oil to finish the leather to see if it would bring the red back out.

As you can see, the red is nowhere near as rich as before it dried in the first picture (its more a terracotta than a true red, but its much darker than when it dried our). The colours are a bit off since this is indoor light and a flash on my camera but you can see the difference in the bottom picture. Before I applied the oil, the piece on the bottom right was the same as the piece on the bottom left.

I'd say it's progress, although the colour is still not as red as other examples I've seen from Karl Robinson (http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/leather_dyeing.php) and Yale (http://travelingscriptorium.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dyed-leather-parchment.jpg).



Picture before the dye dried fully
Picture after it dried fully and then an oil coating was applied



No comments:

Post a Comment