Tuesday 1 October 2013

An inventory of period leather dye pigments

Just like I did with my inventory of colours, I thought it might be helpful to go through my four sources and inventory what ingredients seem to have been used for pigments used in leather dying. It's probably important to keep in mind that what pigment sources were used would have varied by region and time period, so there is a fair bit of variance between the sources.

However, this list at least provides a source for the ingredients that we can show were in fact used (even if not widely) at some point in period for leather dyes.

I haven't done any deep research into the less common of these to figure out exactly what they are (for example, I know about murex and lac but not sure what "murex lac" is). Some of these ingredients (like the murex lac) are used in making compound pigments, rather than as dyes on their own.

I'm pulling this information together as interesting detail for the documentation of my Fall A&S project for the Queen's Prize Tourney, but thought I should post it here as it could be useful for other people as well.

Archil
Black grape skins
Bloodwort
Brazilwood
Colcothar
Cinnebar
Curcuma (turmeric)
Galls
Grains of Narprum (may be Buckthorn berries)
Gum lac
Indigo
Kermes (also referred to as vermillion)
Litharge of gold
Lulax (compound pigment)
Madder
Murex lac
Privet berries
Raphanitis/Ireos flowers (Iris flowers)
Reno citrino (no idea what this is)
Ripe Buckthorn berries
Sandalwood
Sumach
Verdegris
Verzino (compound pigment)
Walworte (also referred to as elderberries)
Weld
White lead
Woad


No comments:

Post a Comment