Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Avelyn's Armour - Update

We decided to go to an A&S day this weekend, and I took the opportunity to get started on some new leg armour for Avelyn. We had seen how some of the Harrowgate folks have done their knee and shin protection, so we are going to try that approach.

Of course, when I went down to the leather stash to find some leather for the project, I discovered I didn't have enough of it left for the pieces I was going to make. This of course meant a road trip to Zeli's was in order. After spending way too much money, we were supplied, and made our way to the A&S day. I also picked up some of the items from my list of equipment (see an earlier post), so it was a good pit stop.

We were only at the A&S day for a short time, but I was able to trace out the paper pattern for the shin pieces and fit them to Avelyn. After some adjustments and another paper pattern we were good to go. Once we got home, I cut out the first piece, which looks like it will work.

Now I just have to figure out how the strap them on, because she needs to be able to put them on and take them off herself, so buckles aren't ideal. Avelyn suggested a hook and eye system, but I'm concerned the hooks will constantly be popping undone. We also have to figure out how best to attach the shins to the knees.

I will also have to cut some strips of armour grade leather and wax harden them to use as splints. I can then rivet them to the shin-guards to give her some extra protection without a huge amount of weight added.


  1. It was good to see you there, albeit briefly.

    1. Thanks for hosting. We also got some great tips from Inar on how to setup a system for wax-hardening leather, which we're looking into. :)