Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Update on Kingdom A&S

So, you know how I said I was done my Kingdom A&S project. Well, not so much.

I did finish a project that I was planning on using for Kingdom A&S, but I just wasn't happy with it. The pattern that I was using (from Period Patterns #93) just didn't match with my research (primarily from Purses in Pieces) and because the level of documentation that came with the pattern wasn't great I was feeling nervous about submitting it to Kingdom A&S for judging.

Since I have Purses in Pieces, and Goubitz includes all kinds of diagrams about how the pouches would have been constructed, I decided to scrap my previous project and do a new one that more closely followed what I have in my documentation. Seemed like the proper thing to do.

That's not to say that the pattern from Period Patterns isn't accurate, but I just couldn't find enough supporting information showing the construction was correct. Plus, from a structural perspective, it seemed like things would be falling out of the pouch - never a good thing.

So, last night while Avelyn was trying out Skyrim on the PS3, I retreated down to the leather cave (AKA the basement corner where my workshop is set-up) and finished off my second attempt at my project. I used some of the new green-ish leather that I bought (it actually looks black or dark grey in some light).

It turned out OK. I'm still not entirely happy with it, but that's just the perfectionist in me I expect. The stitching isn't straight, which annoys me, but the pattern makes a lot more sense. For a beginner level project, it should be fine. At least I know my research is solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment